Snowy Plovers are a threatened bird species on the endangered list. They are shorebirds, and make nests in the sand.
Here are some fun facts about them:
- The mother will try to divert a predators attention away from the nest, by making loud noises, and distracting movements.
- There are normally 3 eggs in a nest. (Though not always.)
- They eat aquatic bugs, worms, seeds, and sand flies. (And probably more that I don’t know.)
- They sometimes line their beach nests with seashells.
- Snowy Plovers sometimes mistake kites with predators, making them run away, wich causes the eggs to get cold.
I hope you learned a little about Snowy Plovers!